Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Why I Wore Purple Today

I want to tell you that you are not alone.  You are loved.  More loved than you'll ever know.  I'm sorry they pick on you.  They can't understand you because you're not like them.  They bully you to get you to conform, to beat you into submission.  But you are better than their cruelty.  No one should hate you for who you are.  And who's to say anyone else knows but you?  I am proud that you are different.  I salute you.  Purple is my favorite color.  I'll wear it everyday to keep you in this world.  When you see me in purple it's my way to say I care and that I love you.  Let my love shield you, heal you, keep you safe.  I know what it's like to walk the world and feel like no one cares.  I know it is hard to ignore rejection, hard to face hostility on a daily basis, hard to hold your head up...  but there is a whole 'nother world out here waiting to embrace you, to encourage and celebrate you.  Don't give in to that sadness that overshadows you at times.  Work your way through it.  They may never get over how different you are and that is their problem, not yours.  You are special.  I love you.  I love all of you.

If only wearing my favorite purple dress today -- you know the one that is so vibrantly purple people stop and stare at me and give me double takes as I walk past them? -- would get you to see how much I support you or get you to smile for just one more day and laugh away the pain, then maybe dying my hair purple will show you even more how much I'm your fan, I'm your girl!  But, uh, dying my hair purple, well... it ended up coming out really dark today.  So my hair is deep blue.  The deep blue, if anyone asks me, represents the deep well of tears I've cried for you, the tears I've cried for myself back when I was your age and didn't feel I belonged anywhere.  I, too, tried several times to die, yet you'd never know it now.  I'm different like you.  And I'll stay different in my eye-catching purple and tragic blue hair for love of you.

Look at me and know I'm here for you.

If you are crazy enough to try to die than you are crazy enough to survive.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment