Tuesday, October 19, 2010

My Card Decks

The very first Tarot deck I ever dared to illustrate was a simple black and white one but my skills hadn't yet developed enough for me to really make a marketable deck.  I also happen to be a Tarot reader myself and whenever I set out to create a card deck, I consider the many beautiful decks I have used as a professional psychic.  It's easy to illustrate a card deck that is very personal but what about one that everyone can easily interpret?  It's not an easy task.  One that takes years.  Over the past five (or is it six?) years I've been busy painting and designing card decks for divination and for healing, using traditional and contemporary methods and iconography to illustrate my own unique take on the Tarot and playing cards.  I'm not satisfied with each painting and I could use some feedback.  I apologize in advance for so many images here!  It may take you a long while to page through them.  I don't have many moments to describe each image and why I created it.  I want to do several Tarot decks, but for now, this is it!  Take a peek at what keeps me home on my lonesome for days and nights on end...  and keep in mind each of the three decks here are still unfinished.

Fairy Godmother Healing Card Deck 2006-10:
What if all Fairy Godmothers in fairytales were really drag queens with magical powers? Each one of the  faces you see below is a Fairy Godmother who can grant you a special wish that corresponds with each of their personalities and supernatural abilities.  Each one has their own name, magical spell, and unique form of luck that will be granted to whomever recieves a card with their face on it.  I would like to make this very special card deck coincide with a charity and have the cards distributed to people who need a boost of humor and luck while they are sick or dying.  I think there's a real need for something like this in the world.  I would like to collaborate with a real drag queen (or a group of them) who can contribute their own take on each Fairy Godmother (or sponsor them) to make them official.


The above image is the opening painting that will open the book of the Fairy Godmothers.  Each face painted here is one of the Fairies who rules for each element.  See if you can guess which one controls what!

There are over 100 Fairy Godmothers now.  The last 32 I painted were done while my own mother was dying during the week/end of March 23rd.  The very last Fairy Godmother was created right after my mother's funeral.  He is the classic sacred clown figure -- a Fairy Godmother of such special mystery, he coyly shushes your questions with his finger on his lip.  Two other Fairy Godmothers are of famous personalities John Waters and Divine.  I would like to include other famous queens, but that would be permission pending -- heck I'd have to really write to John for permission, too -- so I didn't go out of my way to make any of the other Fairy Godmothers after famous people.

   
   
    
   

 


   
 

 

 
   
  
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   


The Valentina Tarot Deck, 2004-6:
I've always wanted to paint a dramatic Tarot deck worthy of my own imagination, but would it sell?  Would psychics like it?  I have put so many personal icons in this deck, I fear I may have to make it more commercial, more impersonal, more professional (?).  I was going through a lot of personal inter-relationship drama during the period I painted this deck -- some of that drama seeped through.  Some of my old friends may recognize themselves or others in this deck.  The next Tarot deck I create I plan to make things a bit more traditional.   For now this fully painted deck remains on the back burner... 

This was to be the back cover image for each card:

But I felt it might be a tad bit too presumptious to include more than one image of myself in my own deck.  I was even clueless as to what to call the deck!  So I just named it after myself.

The Major Arcana
The Fool, The Magician, The High Priestess, The Empress, The Emperor

The Heirophant, The Lovers, The Chariot, Justice, The Hermit

The Wheel of Fortune, Strength, The Hanged Woman, Death, Temperance

The Devil, The Towers, Star, The Moon, The Sun
 
Judgement, The World

 
The Minor Arcana: Wands, Cups, Swords, and Pentacles
The Wands

The Court of the Wands
Child of Wands, Jack of Wands (Jack Kerouac), Queen of Wands, King of Wands

 
 
The Cups 

The Court of the Cups
Children of Cups, Jack of Cups, Queen of Cups, King of Cups
 
 
 
The Swords

The Court of the Swords
Child of Swords, Joan of Swords (Joan of Arc), Queen of Swords, King of Swords
 
The Pentacles

The Court of the Pentacles
Child of Pentacles, Jack of Pentacles, Queen of Pentacles (myself), King of Pentacles

Valentina's Mlle. Lenormand Fortune Cards 2005 -7:
Inspired by the 36 card Lenormand fortunetelling system, and based on traditional playing card decks, the following original card designs are referred to by their images and meanings, not just by their suit or number. 
Hearts
Ace of Hearts: The Gentleman, Jack of Hearts: Heart or New Love, King of Hearts: Home, Queen of Hearts: The Stork
   

10 of Hearts: The Dog, 9 of Hearts: Chevalier or Courier, 8 of Hearts: The Moon, 7 of Hearts: The Tree, 6 of Hearts: The Star or Diva

    

Diamonds
Ace of Diamonds: The Sun, Jack of Diamonds: Scythe, King of Diamonds: The Fish, Queen of Diamonds: The Crossroads

   

Ten of Diamonds: The Book, Nine of Diamonds: The Coffin, Eight of Diamonds: The Key, Seven of Diamonds: The Birds

    

The Spades
Ace of Spades: The Lady, Jack of Spades:  The Child, King of Spades: the Lillies, Queen of Spades: The Roses
   

Ten of Spades:  The Boat, Nine of Spades:  The Anchor, Eight of Spades: The Garden, Seven of Spades: The Letter, Six of Spades: The Tower

    

The Clubs 
Ace of Clubs: The Ring, Jack of Clubs: The Rod, King of Clubs: Clouds, Queen of Clubs: Serpent
   

Ten of Clubs: The Bear, Nine of Clubs: The Fox, Eight of Clubs: The Mountains or Journey, Seven of Clubs: The Rat,  Six of Clubs: Cross

    

And here's a sample of how I once imagined they'd look like as a traditional playing deck.  I want the cards to be black, not white, to make them stand out.  This isn't perfect-looking, but you get the sense of where I was going with this.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I look back at each one of my "babies" here and realize I still have a long way to go in developing a true deck of cards.  In the next few days I will be doing a lot of reviewing of my artwork as I try to determine where in life I belong and how best I should allow the world to use me. 

If an image or two really speaks to you, please let me know.  I am working hard to get my act together and make these cards available for publishing and sale.

3 comments:

  1. I like them all. I've seen a few decks out there that aren't as good as some of these you created. You should look into it and see what a professional would say about publishing these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Out of the Valentina Deck, I really like the Wheel of Fortune, and damn near every card from the last deck I love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Wheel of Fortune was the most traditional image I created for that deck. I still think calling it "The Valentina Tarot" might be a tad egotistical, but for now... I guess it works.

    Thanks about the lenormand cards! I really want to experiment with that deck more digitally. I posted these here to look back and determine where I should go with them next.

    ReplyDelete