Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Self Reflections

Myself.  Reflected.  Long hair, hazel eyes, drowsy days... in a daze.  It's cold outside.  I've been busy dreaming inside.


Deep plum hair is more brilliant plum red.  Contrasted with my dark brown hair, it seems like I have streaks of lava running down from my head.


This is how I woke up from a nap today.  I tightly french braid my hair every night and when I undo it once I wake up, it gets a little wavy... and wild.


I take a lot of self portraits -- not just with my digital camera, but I also draw and paint myself often.  Reflecting upon myself... it may seem self absorbed or selfish to some, but for me it is a way of learning more about myself each day.  And the way I see myself is important because how I see myself will reflect upon those who see me.


This photo was taken yesterday right after I had a panic attack.  I've become too sensitive to my surroundings again.  It is hard to get out of the house but I force myself to leave each day, even if it is only to take a fifteen minute walk over to the university to update my blog at the computer lab. 


Shaken, blurry, looking back at myself uncertain, struggling to keep my chin up.  I feel soft, small, but significant.  I am conquering my fears.  I am getting myself back.


Hugging a tree brings me back to strength.  I don't care who sees me do this.  I love the feel of the bark against my cheek.  I stop shivering and shaking.  I start to breathe deeply, not shallowly.  The world slows down.  The people all around me are nothing but scattered leaves on the ground.  I'm inside myself again.  I can live.  I breathe without choking.

4 comments:

  1. The third one is my favorite. It looks like you stepped out of the 70's, and I mean that in a good way. I really like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the first picture for some reason... it just speaks to me. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, the third is my favorite too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so funny you guys like the third photo because I was just goofing around in that one. I've been keeping a sort of "just woke up" self portrait series. Some are just, well, boring, and this one here was the best!

    The first one's my favorite, too, Michelle. Thanks, all, for stopping by and leaving some comments. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete